Planned industrial action by junior doctors, Tuesday 12th January
On Tuesday 12 January 2016, junior doctors across England are expected to go on strike for 24 hours, following the breakdown of talks between the British Medical Association and the Government over proposed changes to employment contracts.
Further industrial action is also planned on 26 to 28 January, and 10 February.
NHS East Surrey CCG is working with providers who are doing everything they can to plan for the upcoming industrial action in order to minimise disruption for patients. However, it is likely that some services will be affected including postponement of some routine operations and non-urgent outpatient appointments.
We urge people to take extra care of their health over this period – and to look out for more vulnerable members of their families and communities.
- Existing appointments with doctors and planned operations will go ahead unless you are advised otherwise by your hospital.
- If you are on regular medication please ensure you have sufficient supplies and collect medicines in good time.
- Call NHS 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation, or try NHS Choices.
- Your local pharmacist can give you advice on many common minor illnesses. To find the nearest pharmacy to you, along with advice about which service is best for your care, use the mobile web tool, Health Help Now: www.healthhelpnow-nhs.net
- Make an appointment with your GP if you are feeling unwell and it is not an emergency.
- Visit a walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or urgent care centre if you have a minor illness or injury (cuts, sprains or rashes) and it can't wait until your GP surgery is open. These include:
- The Crawley Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) treats patients of all ages for sprains and strains, broken bones, minor burns and scalds, minor head and eye injuries.
- Minor injuries units (MIUs) at Horsham Hospital and Purley War Memorial Hospital (for all ages), Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, Edenbridge District and War Memorial Hospital and Sevenoaks Hospital (all for patients aged one or over)
- The Minor injuries units (MIU) at Caterham Dene treats adults over 18.
- Only Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.
- The 'Stay Well this Winter' campaign provides useful information and advice on what to do to how to look after yourself and others during this time of year.
- Leaflets are available to guide parents and carers on common children's illnesses and injuries at: www.eastsurreyccg.nhs.uk via the Your Health tab/What to do if a child is injured or unwell.