What to do when things aren't right

​We hope you will have a really good experience of healthcare in East Surrey, but we know that sometimes things can go wrong. If this is happens, we want to make sure that you know what you can do.

If you have an issue or situation that needs resolving, before you get in touch with us, try talking to your GP, nurse or the health professional treating you first. Often many problems can be resolved quickly and locally this way. The most important thing is to try and put things right as quickly as possible.


If you have tried to raise your concerns directly with your healthcare professional or service and the situation has not improved or, for whatever reason, you do not feel able to talk to them directly then PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) can help. A problem shared is a problem sorted! That's the approach our PALS take. As well as sign-posting people to local services, they can help to resolve issues quickly and report any opportunities to improve services directly back to East Surrey Clinical Commissioning Group.

Want to contact ​PALS?

Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) and Complaints Team

Tel: 01883 772800 

It's a Monday-Friday, 9-5 service but you can leave a message anytime on the dedicated PALS line 01883 772817
​or text 07827253111.

You can also email Carol Rowley Patient Experience and Stakeholder Engagement Lead at carol.rowley4@nhs.net or write to

East Surrey Clinical Commissioning Group
The Council Offices
8 Station Road East
Surrey RH8 0BT​

*please do not send any patient confidential data to the CCG

Wha​​​t if I’m still not satisfied?

You have the right to make a formal complaint. You can complain for yourself or on behalf of someone else, but if you complain for a friend or relative you must have their consent to do so. It is always best to make your complaint as soon as possible. Complaints should usually be made within 12 months of the incident.

Who should I compl​ain to?

That will depend on the service you wish to complain about and which organisation runs that service.

Policy and funding decisions

If you feel you need to make a complaint about a policy or funding decision, you should contact;

East Surrey Clinical Commissioning Group Complaints Team
The Council Offices
8 Station Road East

Surrey RH8 0BT

Tel: 01883 772 817 

Mobile: 07827 253111

Email: carol.rowley4@nhs.net  ​

GPs​, dentists, pharmacists and opticians

GPs, dentists, pharmacists and opticians have their own complaints procedures so it’s best to discuss any concerns you have directly with the practice first. You can either ask for a meeting or write to the Practice Manager or Senior Partner and ask them to investigate your complaint. Alternatively you can contact the NHS England on 0300 311 2233.

Community S​​ervices

If your complaint is regarding a service such as community nursing, therapy services or a community hospital please contact:

Sarah Billiald, Managing Director
First Community Health & Care CIC
2nd Floor
Forum House
41-51 Brighton Road

To email: fchcenquiries@firstcommunitysurrey-cic.nhs.uk
Alternatively, please phone 01737 775450​ 

​Hospital, mental health or ambulance trusts

If your complaint relates to a service provided by one of these organisations you will need to contact the trust directly. All local hospitals, mental health and ambulance services have their own complaints procedures and, in most cases, their own PALS service too. They can help you with any problems that have arisen and can help with any complaints relating to their services.


If you are not satisfied with the response to your complaint, you can ask for a further explanation or you may be offered other options such as independent conciliation.

If, after this, you still feel your concerns have not been resolved, you can ask the Health Service Ombudsman to review your case. You will need to do this within a year of making your complaint. You can telephone the Ombudsman’s office on 0345 015 4033 or write to:

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
11th Floor
Millbank Tower

You can also see www.ombudsman.org.uk for more details.

Worried about making a co​mplaint?

No-one should be discriminated against because they have made a complaint. It’s much more important that the NHS h​ear when things haven’t gone well and learn lessons from your experience.

Independent Complaints Advocacy Se​rvice

From 1st April 2015, these services will be delivered by Healthwatch Surrey with their new partner Advocacy in Surrey. 

Advocacy in Surrey is managed by Surrey Disabled People's Partnership (SDPP). The organisation runs a wide range of county wide advocacy services and work in partnership with other advocacy providers to ensure that individuals have the access to the right advocacy service for their needs.

Contacting the NHS Complaints Advocacy Service in Surrey
Telephone: 0300 030 7333
Website: www.nhscomplaintssurrey.co.uk
Email: advocacy@healthwatchsurrey.co.uk
Text (SMS): 07561 392818​

To find out more click on the link below